What To Do If Your Loved One Has Been Arrested
In New York City
Q: When will they go to Court and what will happen at the first Court Appearance?
A: Generally in New York City, it takes about 24 hours from the time of arrest tothe arraignment. It is possible, but rare, for people arrested in the early morning to be arraigned late that night. Usually, however, it is pretty close to 24 hours and can be as long as 36 hours. Arraignment courts are not open 24 hours a day. Each County’s arraignment has its own hours.
Q: Where is my loved one being held?
A: Immediately after an arrest, people are usually taken to the corresponding precinct of the arresting officers to be processed. For a list of NYPD precinct telephone numbers please access here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/home/precincts.shtml. If you do not know which precinct your loved one is being held in call 311.
After an arraignment, those who are not released can be found here: http://a073-ils-web.nyc.gov/inmatelookup/pages/common/find.jsf
Q: How can I get my loved one out of jail?
A: Depending on the arrestee's charges and any priors, a release can be by way of an ROR (release on own recognizance)—without posting bail, or by posting bail.
Bail may be paid in the courtroom if it is posted at the time when the defendant actually appears there before the judge. If the defendant was already taken away from court, you may post bail at:
- Bronx House of Detention, 653 River Avenue, Bronx, NY 10451
- Brooklyn House of Detention, 275 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Manhattan House of Detention (The Tombs), 125 White Street, New York, NY 10013
- Queens House of Detention, 126-02 82nd Avenue, Queens, NY 11415
- Riker's Island, 11-11 Hazen Avenue, East Elmhurst, NY 1137
For more information on inmates, bail, visiting hours, and travel directions call Department of Corrections at (718) 546-0700.
Q: How do I get in contact with central booking or the criminal court?
A: We strongly suggest contacting an attorney and having the attorney contact these agencies on your behalf. Remember, that any contact with law enforcement may result in a damaging statement that may harm you or your loved ones.
NEW YORK COUNTY (Manhattan)- 100 Centre St (Leonard St. & Franklin St.)
- 4, 5 train to the Brooklyn Bridge Station;
- C, N, R, 6 train to Canal Street;
- 1 train to Franklin Street;
- 1, 6 or 15 bus line.
Manhattan Central Booking (212) 374-3838; (212) 374-3916
Find Arrest Number: (646) 386-4505, (646) 386-4511, (646) 386-4512
Arraignments Phone: (646) 386-4545
Arraignment Ready Information: (646) 386-4511 (day only)
Arraignments (fax): (212) 374-1846
Desk Appearance Tickets (DATs) phone: (646) 386-4511
Desk Appearance Tickets (DATs) fax: 212-374-5293
MIDTOWN COMMUNITY COURT- 314 W. 54th Street, New York, NY
(646) 264-1300 (telephone)
KINGS COUNTY (Brooklyn)
Criminal Court (Felonies pre-Indictment and Misdemeanors)
120 Schermerhorn Street (near Livingston St. & Smith St.)
- N, R or M train to the Lawrence Street Station;
- G train to the Hoyt Street & Schermerhorn Street Station;
- A, F or C train to the Jay Street Station; the 2, 3, 4 or 5 train to the Borough Hall Station.
- B67, B41 or B45 bus line to Livingston Street & Smith Street;
- B63 or B65 bus line to Atlantic Avenue & Smith Street.
Supreme Court-Criminal Term (post-Indictment Felonies)
320 Jay Street
- M, N, R to Court Street;
- 2, 3, 4, 5 to Boro Hall;
- A, C, F to Jay St./Boro Hall
Brooklyn Central Booking- (718) 935-9210; (718) 875-6586
Arraignments Phone- (347) 404-9450
Arraignments Fax: (718) 643-3303
RED HOOK COMMUNITY JUSTICE CENTER (Brooklyn)
88-94 Visitation Place, Brooklyn, New York
General Info: (718) 923-8200
215 East 161st Street (near Sherman & Sheridan Avenues), Bronx, New York
- C, D or 4 train to the Yankee Stadium/161st Street Station.
- BX 6 or BX 13 to East 161st Street & Sheridan Avenue; the BX 1 to East 161st Street & Grand Concourse.
Bronx Central Booking: (718) 643-5678, (718) 643-5675
Arraignments Phone: (718) 590-2886, 2887, 2888
Arraignments Fax: 718-537-5165
Arraignment Coordinator: (718) 590-2924
Desk Appearance Tickets (DATs) phone: (718) 590-2858
Desk Appearance Tickets (DATs) fax: (718) 590-2857
125-01 Queens Blvd. (Hoover Avenue & 82nd Avenue), Forrest Hills, New York
- E or F train to the Union Turnpike Station.
- Buses: Q60, Q37, Q74 and Q46
Queens Central Booking- (718) 268-4523
Intake: (718) 286-6874
Arraignments Phone: (718) 298-0736
Arraignments Fax: 718-520-6975, 7251
Desk Appearance Tickets (DATs) phone: (718) 298-0792
Desk Appearance Tickets (DATs) fax: 718-520-4712
RICHMOND COUNTY (Staten Island)
67 Targee Street (between Frean & Purroy Streets), Staten Island, New York
- S74 bus to Broad Street & Gordon Street;
- S78 bus to Broad Street & Thompkins Avenue
Arraignments Phone: (718) 390-8400
Arraignments Fax: (718) 390-8405
Desk Appearance Tickets (DATs) phone: (718) 390-8409
Desk Appearance Tickets (DATs) fax: (718) 390-8405
Staten Island Central Booking: (718) 390-8400
The information in this article is not legal advice. The content of this article is intended for general information purposes only, and is not legal advice. Legal advice depends on the specific facts and circumstances of each individual's situation. Those seeking specific legal advice or assistance should contact Wynton O. Sharpe, P.C. (718) 399-9333 or by filling out the form on this site.
Law Offices of Wynton O. Sharpe
111 Court Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
718 399 9333
Or use our contact form.
M-F 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
other times by appointment only